Advertisement

Alberta mom warns of metal BBQ brush dangers after boy ends up in hospital

Alberta mom warns of metal BBQ brush dangers after boy ends up in hospital
From Global News - July 14, 2017

A mother in Whitecourt, Alta. is speaking out about a terrifying situation after a bristle from a metal barbecue brush became lodged in her four-year-olds throat.

Jenna Kuchik said her son Oliver was rushed to Edmontons Stollery Childrens Hospital earlier this month after the family was eating chicken.

He started to cry really loudly and hysterically that he had something in his throat, Kuchik said on Friday. He said, Get it out. It hurts.

He kept pointing right here (at his throat).

He couldnt swallow or spit. Kept gagging.

Kuchik immediately took her son to the hospital in Whitecourt where an X-ray confirmed he had a 1.5-centimetre metal bristle stuck in his throat. Her fiancchecked the other pieces of meat and found another bristle in another piece of chicken.

Lucky, well not lucky, that we found another bristle in another chicken because it was a pretty good indication at that point what was going on with him, and then it was easy for the doctors to do the X-ray, suspecting thats what it was, Kuchik said.

READ MORE: Wire BBQ brushes pose hazard if not regularly replaced

Watch below: On May 9, 2013, Sean OShea filed this report about the importance of being careful with the brush you use to clean your grill. If its old or frayed, it could you could end up taking a bite out of bristle.

Doctors in Whitecourt gave Oliver a steroid to reduce the swelling in his throat and help him swallow. He was taken by ambulance to the Stollery Childrens Hospital for an operation to have it removed.

Advertisement

Continue reading at Global News »