Advertisement

An 11-year-old boy went blind after following a diet of meat, potatoes and Cheerios

An 11-year-old boy went blind after following a diet of meat, potatoes and Cheerios
From Global News - October 5, 2017

In an unfortunate case of trying to curb his allergies, an 11-year-old boy has gone blind from following a very restrictive diet of only pork, lamb, potatoes, apples, cucumber and Cheerios. His mother put him on the diet in an effort to regulate his severe eczema.

In a study published in JAMA Pediatrics Clinical Challenge, doctors say the boy, who was treated at Torontos Hospital for Sick Children, experienced progressive vision loss, night blindness and light sensitivity over the course of eight months. He had also been complaining of dry eyes.

READ MORE: This Ottawa woman got an eyeball tattoo and now she could lose her eye

He had very severe eczema and some patients will try to eliminate common allergenslike soy, milk and peanutsto try and help with eczema, says Dr. Dustin Jacobson, lead author of the study and pediatric resident at the University of Toronto. In his mothers experience, they slowly eliminated foods that seemed to cause his eczema to flare. He seemed to be somewhat of a picky eater as well.

By the time the boy was taken to doctors, he was already experiencing blurry vision, Jacobson says, and it quickly escalated to overt blindness. He was limited to detecting hand motion at 30 centimetres, which classifies him as legally blind. His impairment is due to a severe vitamin A deficiency due to his limited diet.

Once at Sick Kids, doctors administered daily megadoses of vitamin A of 200,000 international units (IU) for two days, followed by another megadose two weeks later. For reference, the normal recommended daily intake is approximately 2,000 to 3,000 IU.

Advertisement

Continue reading at Global News »