Advertisement

3 Real-Life Fire Safety Lessons From Jack Pearson's Death on This Is Us

3 Real-Life Fire Safety Lessons From Jack Pearson's Death on This Is Us
From TIME - February 5, 2018

Spoilers ahead for This Is Us.

NBCs This Is Us, Americas highly-watched primetime tearjerker, finally revealed how a house fire killed one of its main characters, Jack Pearson, in a post-Super Bowl episode Sunday.

This Is Us had been teasing Jacks death over the course of its two seasons, dropping breadcrumbs and twists that kept viewers agonizing over what exactly happened. Before Sunday nights episode, fans knew the fateful fire was sparked by a faulty Crock-Pot slow cooker and the Pearson houses smoke detectors needed a battery replacement. The final piece of the puzzle revealed on Sundaythe actual cause of Jacks deathshowed that the Pearson patriarch died from a heart attack caused by smoke inhalation after he went back into the house to rescue the family dog, Louis.

This Is Us storyline has prompted conversations about fire safety, from ensuring smoke detectors are working properly to knowing not to reenter a blazing building. We spoke to U.S. Fire Administrator G. Keith Bryant about what fire safety tips people should glean from the show.

Regularly check your smoke detectors

The most common thing you will see in a fatal house fire is the lack of a working smoke alarm, Bryant told TIME. I dont think you can check them enough.

Even fire departments took on the importance of smoke detectorsas a tie-in to the fire department of Encinitas, Ca. started a Fire Safety Challenge on Twitter in a move to get people to check their smoke alarms and share photos online.

Bryant said every house should have at least one smoke detector in between the kitchen and bedrooms, and recommended placing alarms outside of every bedroom door. Multilevel houses should have a smoke alarm on every level, he said. To further avoid the spread of fire, Bryant said people should keep their bedroom doors shut as well.

House fires often start in the kitchen

Dont go back into a burning house for anything

Advertisement

Continue reading at TIME »