Advertisement

Carillion collapse delays new £335m Liverpool hospital

From BBC - February 6, 2018

The collapse of Carillion has delayed the opening of the new 335m Royal Liverpool Hospital, with bosses saying it is unlikely to be finished in 2018.

Chief executive Aidan Kehoe said it will be "challenging" to open the 646-bed facility this year.

First due to open in March 2017, the project has been repeatedly delayed after asbestos was found on site, while remedial building work was also needed.

Construction giant Carillion collapsed last month with debts of about 1.5bn.

Mr Kehoe said Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust was trying to retain sub-contractors and former Carillion staff "because they have the best understanding of the work that is required to finish the job".

However, he said "highly complex" negotiations were taking time because many were facing financial difficulties as a result of Carillion's collapse.

Mr Kehoe said: "Given this situation, we expect a significant delay and it will prove challenging to get the new Royal finished before the end of the year."

Advertisement

Continue reading at BBC »