12 People Got Worms from Eating Raw Wild Boar at a Party

From TIME - March 1, 2018

Twelve people developed the parasitic infection trichinellosis after eating raw wild boar at a party in California, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Humans and animals typically develop trichinellosis after eating raw or undercooked meat that contains Trichinella worm larvae, according to the CDC. The worms are released into the small intestine after consumption, where they mature and lay eggs. Eventually, those eggs hatch into immature worms and reach the arteries and muscles. The infection spreads when a human or animal eats meat from an animal with larvae already in its body, the CDC says.

A physician first notified California public health officials of a patient with a probable trichinellosis diagnosis in January 2017. Officials learned that one of the patients relatives, as well as three other friends or family members, had been treated at area hospitals for symptoms consistent with trichinellosis, including fever, gastrointestinal issues and muscle pain. Each of these people had attended the same party the previous month, according to the CDC summary.


Continue reading at TIME »