Advertisement

Jerome Hamon: Frenchman gets 'third face' in new transplant

Jerome Hamon: Frenchman gets 'third face' in new transplant
From BBC - April 17, 2018

The first person in the world to receive two facial transplants says he is feeling well, three months after his latest groundbreaking operation.

Jrme Hamon had his first transplanted face removed last year after signs of rejection following a treatment with an incompatible antibiotic during a cold.

The 43 year old remained in a hospital in Paris without a face for two months while a compatible donor was sought.

He said: "The first [face] I accepted immediately. This time it's the same."

Mr Hamon suffers from neurofibromatosis type 1, a genetic condition that caused severe disfiguring tumours on his face.

His first transplant, in 2010, was a success, but he caught a common cold in 2015 and was given antibiotics. The drug was incompatible with the immunosuppressive treatment he was having to prevent a rejection of the transplanted material.

The first signs of rejection came in 2016 and last November, the face, suffering from necrosis, had to be removed.

Mr Hamon lived without a face in a room at Georges-Pompidou hospital in Paris without being able to see, speak or hear until January, when a face donor was found and the second transplant carried out.

To avoid further rejection, Mr Hamon - dubbed "the man with three faces" by French media - had special treatment to clean the blood prior to the transplant.

'It's good'

Advertisement

Continue reading at BBC »